Monday, July 11, 2011

Thoughts on brainstorming

It has been a long time since I've written anything. I've been busy with work, but I have still managed to get some writing done on my D&D projects. I haven't made any headway on the Slave Lords conversion, but I have been working on some adventure ideas for a Living Forgotten Realms "My Realms" adventure.

I do most of my initial brainstorming in a google docs file. I just date each entry and keep a long running list. I try to write down five to ten ideas every day. Sometimes I choose a theme, like 'villains' or 'strongholds', but sometimes I'll just flip to a random page in whatever book is at hand and use the first word I see on the page as my random seed.

I brainstormed like that for a few weeks with mixed results until I had a few days when all of my ideas started to fit together during the brainstorm session. I took those ideas and created a new document and just cut/paste to organize them a little, then started a focused effort to focus and refine my ideas. I like using the computer for doing some writing, but it gets to a point where I prefer the feel of a pencil on paper. That's where I'm at right now. When I like where I've gotten the ideas on paper, I'll type them up and try to get a group together to run it. I hope to have it ready by the time I get back to NYC this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment